Having the right venue for your function can make or break the success of your event. Here are a few things to think about when choosing a venue:
1. Guest numbers. It may sound like an obvious one, but make sure the venue you choose can comfortably accommodate your guests. If the venue is too small, uncomfortable will be the word of the day; too large and it will be difficult to create a fun and enjoyable atmosphere.
2. Convenience. You want your venue of choice to be easy to locate, have plenty of parking and be easy to access. If you choose a venue that is hidden away and difficult to find, your guests will end up being stressed, late or possibly lost!
3. Wet weather options. If your function is being held at a fickle time of year weather wise, ensure your venue has wet weather cover or is a venue where the rain won't impact your event. Keep in mind the average temperature and make sure there is adequate air conditioning in summer and heating in winter. It's super hard to concentrate if you're sweating up a storm or chilled to the bone!
4. Venue Inspection. The majority of venues will welcome an inspection by their clients as it gives them an opportunity to showcase their site as well as meet their customers and get a thorough understanding of their needs. By meeting venue staff, it helps you to feel more comfortable that you have chosen the right venue for your function and confident that the event will run smooothly.
5. Venue Services. Make sure you have a good understanding of what services the venue provides. Do they supply food or do you need to organise an external caterer? Are staff provided with venue hire? Are security staff included in venue hire? Are there any restrictions the venue has in place? For example, some venues have decorative restrictions where you can't attach decorations to walls. Can you play our own music or does it have to be the house music? If you have special dietary requirements, can the venue accommodate those or are you allowed to bring your own food?
These points are a small snapshot of things to think about - when organising a function there are a multitude of things to think about! However, if the basics are covered, the rest is easy!